New member introduction: shrI Gerald Penn

Wed Sep 9 17:14:04 CDT 1998

On Mon, 7 Sep 1998, Ravisankar S. Mayavaram wrote:

>   My name is Gerald Penn.  I work as a research scientist at University of
> Tuebingen, in the areas of mathematical logic, philosophy of language and
> computer science.  I am particularly interested in the contributions of
> advaita to the areas of epistemology and grammar.

As far as I know, Advaita Vedanta didn't contribute a lot to those fields.
Rather, they adopted the positions of the Bhatta Mimamsakas almost lock
stock and barrel.  A contemporary of Shankaracharya who later became  his
pupil, Mandana Mishra, combined some details of the sphotavada of the
Grammarians with Advaita Vedanta but this never really went anywhere.