shankara's vivaraNa on vyAsa bhAShya of yoga sUtra-s

Vidyasankar Sundaresan vidya at CCO.CALTECH.EDU
Sat Oct 10 17:38:30 CDT 1998

> Do you not think that a line can be drawn between in both the Upanishads and
> Shankara's writings between description and prescription?

Of course, but the issue is not just one of description of ultimate
reality and prescription of the means. Adherents of non-Advaita schools,
such as the pUrva mImAMsakas, do not see a separation between the two, so
that each closely affects the other.

Therefore, the question being debated is whether the prescription of means
is a recommendation or an injunction. The latter word comes from the verb
enjoin, which means "to direct or impose by authoritative order" whereas
to recommend only means "to present as worthy of acceptance, or to
endorse." The pUrva mImAMsakas think that the scripture impose by
authoritative order, as if it were a legal writ, whereas SankarAcArya
thinks that scripture only reveals ultimate reality, and does not enjoin
anything, although they can be said to recommend the means to
Self-knowledge.

And as it turns out, Yoga may be accommodated within the means, with the
qualification that by itself, "citta vRtti nirodha" does not lead to
liberation. This can only be through proper Self-knowledge. There are many
schools of Yoga which prescribe forced cessation of thought, whereas
advaita vedAnta says that cessation of mental activity is a natural
outcome of Self-knowledge. Hence the advice is to not be enamored of the
siddhis that the yogasUtras describe, and to concentrate on AtmavijnAna.

Vidyasankar