Clarifications

Nanda Chandran Nanda.Chandran at NBC.COM
Wed May 27 13:22:46 CDT 1998

I've been reading the Upanishads for the past few days and to an extent
it cleared some doubts and misconceptions of mine. I would like to share
it with the list so that others can point out where I'm possiby erring.

The Atman is the Changeless Eternal Absolute - CEA.

We used to have a lot of discussions in the past about the unreality of
the world, which had provoked a lot of humorous responses from Jaladhar
and Rama. The general tendency is to take mAyA literally and state
everything is in the mind only and nothing apart from the self exists!

The Vivekachoodamani while explaining Atman used a quote from the
AtharvaVeda which states that, "verily everything is Brahman".

But Brahman is supposed to be the CEA, so how can everything be Brahman?
My body which is perishable cannot be Brahman. So is this computer I'm
using.

This is where the concept of the substratum or the intrinsic nature of
the subject comes into play. The analogy of the gold in both the ring
and the chain is used. In the sense that both are essentially only gold,
but classified with the name and form, the take on seperate identities.
So the basest quality of the subject is what should be the intrinsic
nature - Brahman.

Swami Satchidananda states that in both the body and the brick wall, the
intrinsic nature is the conciousness. So atleast in Advaitam, mAyA
doesn't refer to the illusory nature of the world in the literal sense
(I think!), but rather the perception of duality in the empirical world
and thereby highlighting the underlying common substratum in everything,
which is essentially One - Advaitam.

So our hunt is for the basest (not to be misinterpreted :-) nature in
ourselves! And the way to use the neti-neti is to subject the contender
to the CEA test!

        Because e-mail can be altered electronically,
        the integrity of this communication cannot be guaranteed.