VairAgyam

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Mon May 25 09:40:23 CDT 1998

On Sun, 24 May 1998, Chelluri wrote:

> [...]
>
> Now that we have some understanding of the definition of vairagya
> (desirelessness) are there any slokas in vivekachudamani to show how it is
> connected to poverty/riches and suffering/enjoyment.  Why kunti devi wanted to
> be in the state of misery and why Buddha left the riches.  Each one could have
> stayed where they are and at the same time be desireless. Does viveka
> chudamani say anything about environment or ones state in life that play a
> part in making one desireless.
>
> I agree to disagree with you on the point of prerequistes.   In the process of
> learning, the school always puts prerequsites.  To get an M.A one has to
> complete B.A.
> To attain the sate of non attchment there has to be some prerequisites... may
> be I am not expressing it right.  dont call prerequsites... say requirements
> or correct state of conditions that makes one to see the truth.
>
>                                                                         Nagy

Namaskarams.

There are 40 qualities set by Shri Shankara for a sincere vedAntic
student (in SAdhanA panchakam). I do not know of any pre-conditions
for vairAgya, like one has to be materialistically poor, or should be
suffering from diseases etc. I cannot see such pre-conditions.

VairAgya, as you say is by divine grace (as everything is), is a mental
state where you develop dis-passion for what the sense organs grasp from
this world. This leads to behaviour of audAseenya (indifference) not only
to matters that are not of interest but also to matters what the world
and the society say you are to have an interest. This leads to equanimity
- same balanced attitude for "pleasures" and "sorrows" . This leads to
knowledge "Brahmah satyam jagan mithyah, jeevo brahmaiva nah parah" -
only Brahman is Real, the jagat is mithyah and - rejection of the unreal;
- which is renunciation. You see yourself to be Brahman and enjoy the
bliss.

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Yadaa sarve pramucyante kaamaa ye'sya hr^di shritaah
atha martyo'mr^to bhavatyatra brahma samashnute   Katha Upanishhad II.3.14

When all the desires that dwell in the heart fall away, then the mortal
becomes immortal, and attains Brahman even here.