VairAgyam

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Sun May 24 09:42:18 CDT 1998

On Sat, 23 May 1998, Chelluri wrote:

>                                               Om
>
> VairAagyam (detachment from worldly affairs and attachment to divine.  I dont
> know whether this definition is correct if not somebody correct me).
> Vairagyam is a divine gift.   It comes automatically by her grace.
> >From what I learned from study, observation and experience, Vairagyam comes
> when one faces untold miseries, pain and suffering and at the same time, never
> looses the faith realizing that this is a passing phase and not permanent.

Namaste.

I would not call that vairAgya. The above description is for a *temporary*
indifference to worldly matters. The desire, the very opposite of
vairAgya, is only dormant in that stage; it has not died out. Because
the circumstances are not favorable, the desire, that particular
property of the ego, just is simply biding its time, and would show
up soon after the conditions are perceived to be favorable for the
pursuit of the desires. In my view, that is not vairAgya. It may be a
temporary depressive mentality.

Shri Shankara says in Viveka ChuDAmaNi (verse 424):

        VAsanAnudayo bhogye vairAgyasya tadAvadhih

When the rising of the desires for the objects of senses has ceased,
non-attachment or vairAgya has been complete.

Also, in verse 423

        ajnAna-hr^daya-granther vinAsho yadyasheshhatah
        anichhor vishhayah kim nu pravr^tteh kAraNam svatah

If the knots of the heart, the desires, which are nothing but the
effects of ignorance, are *totally* destroyed, then, having no
desire, how can the objects of senses be incentives to action ?

Also, in  verse 419:

vairAgyasya phalam bodhah bodhasyo'paratih phalam
svAnandAnubhavAt shAntir eshhaivo'parateh phalam

The result of non-attachment is knowledge; the result of knowledge
is renunciation; and the result of renunciation is peace that comes
from the enjoyment of the bliss of the Self.

> Having said all that, I conclude that it is not right to have a prerequisite
> whether it be difficulties and suffering or riches and enjoyment .  Any
> comments.
>

>                                                                Nagy

It may be a wrong way to look at. There is no pre-requisite for
anything. Pre-requisite is what the mind sets, when looking at the
finite. When you realize you are the infinite, where are the
pre-requisites ? On way to realizing That, one after the other
follow:

lack of desire for sensual pleasures -> equanimity -> vairAgya ->
        -> jnAna -> renunciation -> infinite bliss

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Yadaa sarve pramucyante kaamaa ye'sya hr^di shritaah
atha martyo'mr^to bhavatyatra brahma samashnute   Katha Upanishhad II.3.14

When all the desires that dwell in the heart fall away, then the mortal
becomes immortal, and attains Brahman even here.