moksha and mumukshutvam

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Mon May 18 07:20:02 CDT 1998

Namaste.

mumukshu has been described as one having a burning desire for liberation.
But I see a subtle contradiction in the description.

Liberation for what ? What is the entity seeking liberation ? My
answer to that is: It is the body-mind-intellect complex that is
seeking liberation for itself. That means, mumukshu is already
identified with the body-mind-intellect complex and is seeking
salvation for that entity. Of course, the mumukshu realizes,
with enlightenment, that it is not salvation for that body-
-mind-intellect complex but it is salvation *from* that
thinking of individuality.

Why do "I" care what happens to this body-mind-intellect complex ?
It is just like a snake on the rope.

That is, the so-called "burning desire for liberation" would or should
wane as the individual jeeva becomes disocciated with this body-mind
complex and realizes the true Self.

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Yadaa sarve pramucyante kaamaa ye'sya hr^di shritaah
atha martyo'mr^to bhavatyatra brahma samashnute   Katha Upanishhad II.3.14

When all the desires that dwell in the heart fall away, then the mortal
becomes immortal, and attains Brahman even here.