Qualifications for studying vedanta

Laura W. / Mantralaura mantralaura at TWAVE.NET
Sun May 17 10:49:44 CDT 1998

sarvebhyo namaH,
  Vivek Anand Ganesan wrote:

>. . . .I would like to know the meaning and
>explanation for the four-fold qualifications for
>studying vedanta.

  According to shrii Adi shaNkaaraacharya's
commentary in the prakaaraNa grantha "tattvabodha",
the four-fold qualifications are:

  nityaanityavastuvivekaH |

  The capacity to discriminate between the permanent
and the impermanent.

  ihaamutraarthaphalabhiigaviraagaH |

  Dispassion to the enjoyment of the fruits of
one's actions here and hereafter.

  shamaadiShaTkasampattiH |

  The group of six accomplishments beginning with
"shama".

  mumukShutvaM cheti |

  The yearning for liberation.

  The group of six accomplishments spoken of above
are the accomplishments of saadhana as follows:

  shamo dama uparamastitikShaa shraddhaa
  samaadhaanM cha iti |

  They are:  shama, dama, uparama, titikShaa,
shraddhaa, and samaadhaana.

  An explanation of these according to "tattvabodha"
will be given later.

OM shaantiH, shaantiH, shaantiH

dhanyavaadaH,
  Mantralaura