lessons - 2

Frank Maiello egodust at DIGITAL.NET
Mon Mar 30 22:09:15 CST 1998

Gregory Goode wrote:

>  [...]   I feel now that if there's even the shadow of a possibility of harm,
I won't discuss it
>  [the absence of free will] any more on the list.  I'm very glad to discuss
it off-list, but this
>  is the last Advaita-list message I will post containing arguments against
the existence
>  of free will.

We're quite aware that advaita means nonduality.  But are we aware of its
ramifications?
Nonduality establishes there's no separative jiva, apart from brahman.  This,
in turn, asserts
the impossiblity of free will; for if it did exist, it would have to be
separate from brahman.

Claiming the existence of free will is thus a matter for the dvaita list.  The
idea that it can
be harmful is true--for those yet ascribing to dvaita!  But it should be clear
that it's central
to the approach of advaita, and if someone isn't comfortable discussing it
here, they should
join the dvaita list.

Advaita leads to the jnana of the paramarthika, whereas dvaita is rooted in the
ajnana
of the vyavaharika. The former rests in the silence beyond understanding;
whereas the
latter, due to their idea of a separative egoic will, must yet surrender that
will.  So that even
the dvaitic bhaktha must evolve into the parabhaktha, via the *total surrender*
of ego,
thereby realizing, and yes, *becoming* atman (or brahman).  This illustrates
how even
dvaita, in its later stages, moves into the insight re the dissolution of the
idea of free will.

Namaste.