Meaning of

sadananda sada at ANVIL.NRL.NAVY.MIL
Mon Mar 30 10:21:56 CST 1998

> Vivek Anand Ganesan wrote:
>

>>   On an allied note, I would like to know the meaning of the word
>>"Shankara".  I have heard it used as one of the names of Lord Shiva.
>>Is there a philosophical meaning for this word?  I have also seen it
>>written as "Shamkara".  Is this proper?

Just on the lighter side_
There is a gentleman in the telusa (telugu sahityam) internet who used to
have lot of doubts -  more related to telugu literature but he used to sign
his name splitting his name as shanka-ram for shankaram and presumably
people call him as Ram for short and convenience.

So I gave a literary definition for his name to suite his character -
Shanke ramanti iti shankaram -  the one revels in doubt - or one who revels
in Shanka coffee which as I understand that being a graduate student he
drinks a lot of it to keep him awake for the exams.

To add Anand Hudli's mail - just simple Sham karoti iti Shankaram would
also give the desired meaning - the one bestows a mind free from
agitations.

Hari Om!
Sadananda

K. Sadananda