Screeching squirrels

Jonathan Bricklin brickmar at EARTHCOM.NET
Mon Mar 23 16:33:19 CST 1998

On 20 Mar 1998, Prasant Sharma wrote:

>If you think of an individual's brain as a computer, knowledge is the data
>in its hard disk.

>I resist this metaphor.  I see the brain as a transmitter.  Like a radio
>tower.

It is the stuff that has been put in there.

>Location of this stuff in the brain has not been forthcoming.  The hard
disk metaphor is
not doing well these days.

>There is
>thus, nothing that one can call his own.

Including the sense of "his".

>There are no thoughts that we can
>call our own, because there is actually no thinker there.

Agreed.

>[Epistemogical theory]

I still do not follow it.  If you have a reference to someone else who
shares
it, I will take a look.

>one can never suceed in taking oneself away and
>seeing a thought arise.

One's very sense of being a one is not one's thought.  There are thoughts
and there are spaces between thoughts.  Consciousness abides as witness to
them both.

>>Free will is even easier to topple
from its status as "knowledge"--and, as Benjamin Libet showed, with less
powerful machinery.  A physiologist at the University of California, he
found a way to record the onset of electrical energy in the brain that
immediately preceded a muscle movement.  He then devised an experiment
comparing the precise moment the electrical energy was initiated to the
precise moment that a subject was conscious of having initiated or "willed"
it. If we accept that the "willed" thought, like all thoughts, arises, that
it is "somehow given" to consciousness, it follows that it would have a
formation of its own prior to the added-on sense of being our own personal
thought.*  And that is what Libet found:  "Some neuronal activity
associated with the eventual performance of the act has started well before
any (recallable) conscious initiation or intervention is possible.  This
leads to the conclusion that cerebral initiation even of a spontaneous
voluntary act of the kind studied here can and usually does begin
*unconsciously*.">>

>        True, I never said that the brain is the originator of things.

The point of Libet's experiment was not about the brain, it was about
consciousness.  Free will is nothing if not a subjective experience.  As
Libet, James, Marbe, Freud, Jung, and a host of other introspective
psychologists (not
to mention hordes of meditators) come to realize,  subjective experience is
less supportive of the reality of free will than is commonly supposed.

>What I am saying is the following.  There is always a space between
>perception and memory (this phenomenon is what I called "maya").
>There is a space between images identified with the past and images
>identified with the future.
>Perception is very quick (essentially the speed of light, albeit not that
>in vacuum), memory is much slower (reading from the hard drive takes
>time). However, we have no abilityto put memory in the background and
>allow these perceptions to go on in the way that they arise. The moment
>recognition (or naming) happens, the being comes into existence.  The
>knowledge about the past starts operating before the senses can move on to
>anything else. Therefore I said that there is no individual without
>"knowledge".

I think I can follow this, but you are making more of the individual than
is warranted by experience.  All knowledge is just a passing thought like
all thoughts.  And much of experience does not include sense or knowledge
of being an individual.  When the Zen Buddhist monk Fa-ch'ang was dying, a
squirrel screeched on the roof.  'It's just this' he says, 'and nothing
else.'"  When a sound as startling (yet unthreatening) as a squirrel
screeching on the roof is heard, attention is one-pointed.  For a moment
consciousness ^× all seeing, tasting, hearing, smelling, touching, thinking,
imaging, all *feeling* ^× is reduced to the experience of that screech.  If,
say, you were watching TV when the squirrel screeched, you could not
describe the TV image that coincided with its onset.  Likewise, when you
bite into a particularly rich piece of chocolate you lose the sensation of
how the chocolate feels in your hand;  when you see a shooting star, you
stop hearing the crickets;  and when the answer to a question you have been
puzzling over for weeks suddenly bursts into consciousness, you lose
complete contact with all external sensations.
        Most of the time our consciousness has no such exclusive point of focus.
The blissful feeling of one-pointed consciousness contrasts sharply with
the mild disturbance (from the Latin word "turba" meaning "mob") of
ordinary consciousness. No matter what we are conscious of, there is also,
as William James says, a "staining, fringe, or halo of obscurely felt
relation to masses of other imagery."  By contrast, in the whole mind of
mystical consciousness this fringe drops away.  Everything that arises to
consciousness commands undivided attention upon arrival and then vanishes
as the next point of focus arrives.  Whatever "I" am conscious of, "I" am
conscious of fully.  As in the consciousness of the screech of the
squirrel, there is no residue, no feeling of self inhabiting the moment.
        One-pointed whole mind moments are far more common than we may realize.
Not only does the sense of "I" not accompany all states of consciousness,
it continually flickers in and out ^× a flickering that happens so rapidly
as to barely register in consciousness.  It flickers out, for example, when
there is a flash of red color outside the window;  it flickers back in when
the flash of red color "becomes" a cardinal.  Like the screech of the
squirrel, the redness, when it first appears, is undefined, unconnected to
anything else, unpositioned, without context;  and if attention is without
definition, position, or context the sense of "I" is without definition,
position or context, which is another way of saying it is no sense of "I"
at all.  Is it an "I" that turns the red flash into a cardinal or does the
name "cardinal," along with all other names and words, turn a
non-positioned, non-contexualized consciousness into an I?  At any rate,
what you are calling the individual is not to be confused with some abiding
substance on an analogy with the body.  It alights, flies away, and
alights,  just like the cardinal.

>...there is NO special "knowledge" that any realized person has or can
>have.

When Ramakrishna  says:

"A man becomes liberated even in this life when he knows that God is the
Doer of all things...Not even a leaf moves except by God's will.  Where is
man's free will?  All are under God's will.  Therefore I say, "O Mother, I
am the machine and Thou art the Operator;  I am the chariot and Thou art
the Driver.  I move as Thou movest me;  I do as Thou makest me do".

I think he *is* in possession of and imparting special knowledge.  He's
telling you the snake "I" is a rope.

Metta,

Jonathan Bricklin
Brickmar at earthcom.net

"Nor ever [it] was, nor will [it] be, since now [it] is all together, one,
continuous."
Parmenides