Life and Soul \ Brahman (Con't)

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Tue Mar 10 07:01:41 CST 1998

On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Ravi Mayavaram wrote:

> namaskAram
>
> I think I did not state the question correctly. I am sorry for that.
> My question is what is the basis for your interpretation of
>
> OM shaantiH shaantiH shaantiH
>
> You post does not explain that. Does the words "bodily, natural and
> supernatural" correspond to the the three planes gross (stUla), subtle
> (sUkshma) and Causal (kAraNa)?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ravi
> mInalochani pAshamochani

Namaste. And pardon my intrusion into the discussion.

I read somewhere (I cannot recall the source right now) that the reason
for stating Om Shantih three times is to overcome obstacles from three
sources: namely, (1) Adhi Atmikam, (2) Adhi bhoutikam, (3) Adhi daivikam.
Adhi Atmikam refers to obstacles due to inertia, laziness, inattentiveness
etc. Adhi bhoutikam refers to obstacles from physical incapacitance etc.
Adhi daivikam refers to obstacles from Gods due to lightening, floods etc.
I read this in the context of interpreting and explanation of "Om bhadram
karNebhi shruNuyAma devAh...". I cannot recall the source of this
interpretation, but can look for it if required.

p.s. I just saw the post by Swami Vishwarupananda on the same topic with
similar explanation.

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Yadaa sarve pramucyante kaamaa ye'sya hr^di shritaah
atha martyo'mr^to bhavatyatra brahma samashnute   Katha Upanishhad II.3.14

When all the desires that dwell in the heart fall away, then the mortal
becomes immortal, and attains Brahman even here.