dharma

Ravisankar S. Mayavaram msr at ISC.TAMU.EDU
Fri Jun 5 14:49:50 CDT 1998

There is a saying "Who gives GOD a second place in life give Him no
place". In the recent discussions about "what defines a brahmaNa? some of
the duties were outlined.

With so much other [meaningless] thing to do many of us have given up our
dharma. This downfall is getting rapid with every new generation. Besides
feeling guilty, we should now atleast try for remedy. Many like me are
absolutely clueless about what is the basic minimum one has to do. In fact
I learnt a nice phrase (at shrI venkatesha mahima conference @ Pittsburg)
- abhachchAra chakravarthi. Despite the realization that we cannot do
anything perfect (in the eyes of God) at any point of time, an attempt to
do will by itself be a good thing. Atleast one should know what one is
supposed to do?  and what one is doing?  That leads me to this question:

What are the basic things (absolute minimum) a  brahmana should do
at the various stages of life like brahmachAri, gr^ihasta, vAnaprsatha and
a sannyAsi?

To define a brahmana it is so dificult. OTOH it is so sweet and nice to
define a bhakta. All one has to do is see bhagavAn in everything one does.
Whether a brahmaNa or not, may HER grace make us all bhaktAs

With Respects,
Ravi
mInalochani pAshamochani

andaNanar enbOr aRavOr maRRevvuyirkkum
chenthaNmai pUNDozhugalAn  - thiruvaLLuvar

A brahmaNa is one who as his vratam and dharmam will have a benevolent
attitude towards all beings.  (Parimelazhagar's commentary on this very
nice to read)