Book

Dr. M. Giridhar giridhar at CHEMENG.IISC.ERNET.IN
Thu Jun 4 22:07:20 CDT 1998

namaste.

Sri Ram Chandran has quoted passages from the book by
Pujyasri Chandrasekharendra Sarasvati Svami (kanchi periyava) published by
the Bharatiya vidya Bhavan.

        Two years back, a person residing in Bangalore put several
portions of this book on the Internet. Please see

        http://www.geocities.com/Athens/4240/hinduism.html

"Some of them (people) can speak eloquently about the Upanishads from a
mere knowledge of the truths propounded in them and we do not see them
emerging as men of detachment with true awareness of the Self. The reason
for this is that they have not prepared themselves for this higher state
of perception through the performance of rituals...

Graduating to the Upanishads without being prepared for them through the
performance of Vedic rites is a greater offense than failure to go along
the path of jnana form that of karma."

        Kanchi periyava, in his book 'The voice of divinity' says many
people are intellectually discussing vedanta, perverting vedantic truths
by saying 'I am not indulging in desires, only the body is enjoying
sense-pleasures.' and asking sincere aspirants looking for guidance, 'The
guide is your own Self, no need to make effort, just be effortless' etc.
I used to think (before I stayed in US) that he was making a mountain of a
molehill, but I have come to understand what he is saying is probably an
understatement !

AUM shaantiH