shrI shankara aShtottaram

Ravisankar S. Mayavaram msr at ISC.TAMU.EDU
Mon Jul 27 12:28:29 CDT 1998

namaste

I am sorry for not completing the names so far. I posted upto
99th name on the list

The names posted and the remaining 9 names are compiled into a
single file and it is complete. After reviewing it, I will post
the file to the list in a day or two.

I am sorry for the delay.

Ravi

devI mInanetrI brova rAve
  daya cheya brova rAvamma
                         shyAma shAstri

>From  Mon Jul 27 19:21:05 1998
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 19:21:05 -0400
To: List for advaita vedanta as taught by Shri Shankara
        <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>
From: Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian <ramakris at EROLS.COM>
Subject: Re: Karma and Sanyasa
Comments: To: List for advaita vedanta as taught by Shri Shankara
        <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>

Sankaran Jayanarayanan wrote:

> > tangentially
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >touched upon sannyAsa, only because I had to.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Are you sure? Here's what you had to say:
> -------------
> Suresvaracarya is very emphatic that one who dons the Sanyasi's robes
> alone can give up Karma in his bR^ihadAraNyaka Up. bhAshhya vArttika.
> -------------

Yes, I'm sure. The original question of Ravi had to do with performance
of pUjA. He paraphrased the priest's words which could be easily
(mis)construed as permission for not following vidhi or rules. So, I
wrote why the rules or vidhis have to be followed. After that there were
some posts which went something like: "karma is useless to gain GYAna
according to sha.nkara, it can be done in any way" etc etc etc. Please
note that the original question of Ravi was on how to DO pUjA and not
how to renounce it. When the EXTRANEOUS point "karma cannot lead to
moxa" was brought up I was FORCED to mention the view of shrI sureshvara
on sannyAsa, because his statements on physical sannyAsa does not gel
with what was suggested: "Renounce karma (as in ritual) and still get
fat pay checks (the latter being implied of course)" etc, etc. If
everyone had stuck to the thread it would have been OBVIOUS that Ravi
was asking about pUjA from the point of view of chitta shuddhi. In which
case the point that karma cannot lead to moxa (which everyone here knows
anyways) would not have been raised in the first place.

> IMO, it's not unusual for Maadhavan to find the above "absolute"
> statement about sanyAsa difficult to comprehend, especially when the
> example of Janaka given by Krishna is so apt:

Please read the pa.nchadashI 7.130. There he says:

janakAdeH kathaM rAjyamiti cheddR^iDhabodhataH |
tahA tavApi chettarkaM paTha yadvA kR^ishhiM kuru ||

(Doubt)How then the ancient knowers like Janaka administered kingdoms?
(Reply:) They were able because of their conviction about the truth. If
you have that, then by all menas engage yourself in logic or agriculture
or do whatever you like. (trans. by Swami Swahananda)

shrImad vidyAraNya proves that he has a good sense of humor here, but
also shows that there were people even those days going around claiming
bogus "mental renunciation"!!

I am quite surprised that you of all people are asking this doubt.
Hasn't this been answered about 25,625 times by Anand, Vidya and Giri?

> You also said in your earlier post:
> ---------------------------
> I see many in the list claiming karma is not of much use and one can do
> it however one pleases along with mental renunciation. I ask these
> proponents of "mental renunciation":
>
> How is it that
> 1. a fat paycheck is pocketed each month, but mentally renounced?
> 2. one lives in a house, but that is mentally renounced?
> 3. The car with AC is also mentally renounced?
> 4. The wife is present, but mentally renounced?
> 5. performances by ones own children, dance song etc are attended, but
> mentally renounced?
> ----------------------------
>
> The answer to every one of the above questions is "It was done by
> Janaka, and he's a role model."

Sure. We can also put our feet on every lingam and claim kaNNappa
nAyanAr as our role model. Your question has been already answered ad
infinitum by Anand.

> Why does Krishna give the example of Janaka at all?

The archives is a good place to figure this out also.

Rama.

PS: Is it your intention to waste my time or were you serious in asking
these questions? I still can't believe that you are asking these
questions