What is Krishna ? Bhagavad-gita 7.03 and 7.26

sadananda sada at ANVIL.NRL.NAVY.MIL
Mon Jul 13 11:45:43 CDT 1998

Gummulure Murthy wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, sadananda wrote:
>
>> Since the truth is beyond the concepts, there
>>cannot be any one mis-conception better than the other.

>bhaktyA mAm abhijAnAti yAvAn yashcA 'smi tattvatah
>tato mAm tattvato jnAtvA vishate tadanantaram.
>
>Through devotion (bhakti), jeeva comes to know Me, what My measure is and
>who I am in truth; *then* (GM's emphasis), having known Me in truth, he
>forthwith enters into Me.
>
>My understanding of "enters into Me" in BG 18.55 is where the jeeva looses
>individuality, and the lower self melts into the higher Self.
>
>Any confusion or inconsistency in my thinking ?

Since tadanantaram implies an effecto time factor, which itself is in the
realm of avidya, the first understading that Krishna talks about must
pertain to correct understanding of Iswara at the intellectual level.
Subsequent - Knowing  Me in truth - truth being underlined - is  not
anymore at the intellectual level that is it is not just JNaana but
ViJNaana - it is understanding as an understanding as a fact - that He
being infinite there is nothing other than Krishna.  Hence "entering into
Me or becoming one with Me" these are actionless actions - Here words fail
but words are the only means to take one beyond the words(concepts) - that
is the glory of the vedanta teaching.

Hence your understanding seems to be self-consistent.  But as a final note,
in case of such doubts, if one is not happy with ones own understanding, in
the meaning of these subtle words, it is better to consult Achaaryaas
interpretation to the sloka and contemplate on that to discover oneself
what the truth is.

Hari Om!
Sadananda

>Regards
>Gummuluru Murthy
>Yadaa sarve pramucyante kaamaa ye'sya hr^di shritaah
>atha martyo'mr^to bhavatyatra brahma samashnute   Katha Upanishhad II.3.14
>
>When all the desires that dwell in the heart fall away, then the mortal
>becomes immortal, and attains Brahman even here.

K. Sadananda
Code 6323
Naval Research Laboratory
Washington D.C. 20375