maniiShaapa~nchakam.h

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Wed Jan 28 09:26:03 CST 1998

I appreciate Mantralaura's posting of maniishhaapa~nchakam, particularly
after the "heated" debate on the list about women and vedas. It is timely.

There are many commentaries on maniishhaapa~nchakam. I like the one by
T.M.P. Mahadevan ("The wisdom of unity", published by Ganesh & Co, Madras,
1967, and available from the Vedanta Press). There is much more to
maniishhaa pa~nchakam than the canDAla and dvijavara "dUrIkr^tam
vAnchAsi". Mahadevan echoes BAlagopAlendramuni (author of Mathuma~njari)
that the first four verses by Shri Shankara refer respectively to the four
mahAvAkyAs of the upanishhads: consciousness is Brahman (prajnAnam
brahma); I am Brahman (aham brahmAsmi); That thou art (tat tvam asi);
This Self is Brahman (ayam AtmA brahma). The fifth verse sings the praise
of the path of freedom (moksha)and bliss that results from the realization
(not intellectual knowledge, but actual experience that the Atman is
knowledge) of the four mahA vAkyAs. Also, this state is eternal and not
that was acquired at some stage.

According to what I read about maniishaa pa~nchakam, the five verses by
Shri Shankara were expressed to the form of canDAla. At that stage,
canDAla transforms himself into Lord Shiva. At that stage, Shri Shankara
gives another verse expressing the sameness of Lord Shiva and Shri
Shankara. I give that verse below. For people with historical interest,
this extra verse appears in some other contexts also.

dAsaste'ham deha-dr^shhTyA 'smi shambho
jAtaste'msho jeeva-dr^shhTyA tridr^shhTe
sarvasyAtmann-Atma-dr^shhTyA tvamevety
evam me dhIr-nishcitA sarva-SAstraih |

>From the standpoint of the body, O Shiva, I am Thy servant,
>From the standpoint of the soul, O Thou with three eyes, I become a part
of Thine,
and O the Self of all, from the standpoint of the Self, I am verily Thou,
this is my settled conclusion, reached with the help of all shastrAs.

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Yadaa sarve pramucyante kaamaa ye'sya hr^di shritaah
atha martyo'mr^to bhavatyatra brahma samashnute   Katha Upanishhad II.3.14

When all the desires that dwell in the heart fall away, then the mortal
becomes immortal, and attains Brahman even here.