Self

Vidyasankar Sundaresan vidya at CCO.CALTECH.EDU
Mon Jan 12 17:48:16 CST 1998

On Sun, 11 Jan 1998, sadananda wrote:

> I donot know if you are familiar with Madwa tradition in Udipi.  They give
> baala Sanyaas who later become the maThaadi patiies of the 8 maThs.

This is generally the custom in almost all advaita and dvaita monasteries
in south India.

> Recently one of the MaTaadhipati left his MaTh, and married one beautiful
> young girl, much much younger than him.  He decided that He did not have
> that mental frame of mind necessary for a sanyaasi, much less for a
> maTaadhipati.  In fact he is a great musician and I have his Bhakti music.

Just a clarification. This is the former head of the Kukke Subrahmanya
matha, which is a Madhva institution, but not one of the 8 main mathas in
Udipi.

Vidyasankar