Bhagavad kr^pa (grace of God)

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Tue Jan 6 10:53:03 CST 1998

Pranaams.

This has reference to Shri Vaidya Sundaram's postings (on the thread
Re: Spiritual progress) and Shri egodust's postings (on the thread Re:
Vedanta of vedanta).

On Mon, 5 Jan 1998, Vaidya N. Sundaram wrote:

>   All Advaitins at least have to accept Sri AdiShankara as one the Greatest
> Advaitin. Even Sri Shankara`s Viveka ChUdAmani in verses 494-5 speaks of
> both a non-dual Brahman as well as being God Supreme. this is the sishyas
> experience as experienced by him by the grace of the Holy Shankara.
>
> 494:
>  I am non-dual Brahman whixh is without anything like it,
>  the beginningless truth, beyond all imagined disticntions of 'thou', 'I',
> 'this' and 'that', of nature of uniform prmanent bliss and the supreme
> truth.
>
> 495:
>  I am Narayana; I am the slayer of naraka; I am the slayer of
> TripurAsura; i am the supreme Purusa the Lord; I am the infinite
> Intelligence; I am the witness of all; I am not subject to a higher ruler;
> I am without sense of 'I' or of 'mine'.
>
>  The very fact that both are stated in succesion is sufficeint to accept
> the existence of an Ultimate God in relation to our present position of
> Ignorance.
>  The Purusha sooktam contains verses that say that prostration to the
> All Powerful Purusha will enable attainment of Liberation.
> Even sage Vyasa, after all he had accomplished, split the vedas into
> four and all, was still not contended and did not feel total liberation.
> He was able to attain that Total peace only after writing the Srimad
> Bhagavatam. The efficacy of the Srimad Bhagavatam cannot be calculated.
> There should be no doubt that there is a Supreme God who will enable the
> devotee to attain Moksha.
>
> Vaidya.

In a subsequent posting, Shri Sundaram re-emphasized this point.

I whole-heartedly agree with this. It is indeed God's grace that makes
us what we are. I am glad to note that the human contribution in attaining
moksha has been put at a minimum and is correctly not even mentioned at
all.

Now, let us take it a step further. By God's grace, we mean Saguna
Brahman's (personal God's) grace. It is so, because Nirguna Brahman
is beyond the characteristics of grace. Further, we are Nirguna Brahman
and Nirguna Brahman's grace to the individual soul is an oxymoron.
Also, Saguna Brahman, although controller of mAya, is also a product
of mAya. Thus, when we say that there is a supreme God (Saguna Brahman)
who will enable the devotee to attain moksha, we are still in mAya.

Can we define the parameter bhagavad kr^pa, the grace of God ? Whatever
that is, obviously, it is the same for and toward all embodied souls.
What that means then is, there is no individual moksha. It is only
ignorance which makes us think that there is a moksha for each
individual and that "God's grace" is different for each individual
(depending on karma). The following quote from T.M.P. Mahadevan's
book "Time and the timeless" is quite apt: "Moksha is not freedom
for the individual, but freedom from individuality". What that means
is: if an embodied soul has his/her avidya removed [by whatever
mechanism, saguna Brahman's grace or ? ? ?], the recognition of
identity of all necessarily follows.

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
... aham bhAvodayAbhAvo bodhasya paramAvadhih ...
                        Shri Shankara in Viveka ChuDAmaNi (verse 424)

The end of the rise of the sense of "I" of the ego is the culmination
of knowledge.