Need help with Shloka

Anand Hudli anandhudli at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 25 13:57:38 CST 1998

 Sadananda wrote:

>>namaste Shree,
>>  This is what I came up with:
>>
>> shivaM shiva-karam.h sanaathaM shivaatmaanaM
>>shivottamam.h |
>> shiva-maarga praNe-dharaM praNa-Dho.asmi
>>sadaa-shivaM ||
>>
>>  As you can see, I had trouble with "saantham"
>>and came up with "sanaathaM" (having the Lord as
>>Protector). This is very beautiful. Thank you
>>for sharing this shloka with us.
>>
>>OM shaantiH, shaantiH, shaantiH
>>
>>dhanyavaadaH,
>>  Mantralaura
>
>The second line seems to follow the anushTup chandas, but there seems
to be
>some problem with the first line meter.   Sanaathanam would go with the
>second part of the first line. But that leaves two more words missing
in
>the first half of the first line? Can any one check?
> I agree you cannot put Him inside a meter!

 I can see that the second line has 16 syllables. But the first has
 12 syllables, assuming saantham is shaantaM.
 The second line should read (in my opinion):

  shivamaarga-praNetaaraM praNato .asmi sadaashivaM |

  I bow to Him who is the chief among those of the path of Shiva
  and who is Sadaashiva (eternally auspicious).

 Anand