Shunyata

Gregory Goode goode at DPW.COM
Mon Feb 23 13:16:20 CST 1998

At 01:45 PM 2/23/98 -0500, Chandran, Nanda (NBC) wrote:

>It's said that, in response to the Madhyamika Karikas by Nagarjuna,
>which preached the doctrine of the emptiness of theories, a Vedic
>propenent questioned that if all theories were empty, then wouldn't the
>theory which claimed thus, be empty in itself?

Good response by the Vedic proponent.  But it is no problem really, unless
one believes that at least one theory IS the TRUTH.  If one sees all
theories (even this one) at best as untrue pointers to the Truth (i.e., the
Self), then no problem.  BTW, Nagarjuna's Madhyamika Karikas are
fascinating reading, lucidly written, and clever.

--Greg