ADMIN: HTML posts and HTML Digests

Ravisankar Mayavaram msr at ISC.TAMU.EDU
Thu Dec 17 13:13:15 CST 1998

namaste

I was surprised and happy to see the new version of Listserv
managed to handle shrI Jay Lakhani's post sent in HTML format In
the past this was a problem.

http://listserv.tamu.edu/cgi/wa?A2=ind9812c&L=advaita-l&F=&S=&P=3059

But  I would still request users to send the messages in simple
ascii (plain text format). As many users may be reading their
mail on simple readers like pine, elm, etc. Also please use word
wrap.

Another nice development is you can receive your DIGEST as HTML
DIGESTS. This way you can click and navigate the digest better.
BTW DIGEST is an option by which you can receive the posts of the
day as a single file. To do this send a mail to listserv at tamu.edu
with body of the message containing

SET ADVAITA-L HTML DIGESTS

If you want me to do it for you let me know but I can do it only
by  next week.

with best regards,
Ravi

Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 14:59:29 -0600
To: List for advaita vedanta as taught by Shri Shankara
        <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>
From: Ravisankar Mayavaram <msr at ISC.TAMU.EDU>
Subject: AmnAya stotram.h | verses 18, 19||

sureshvarAchArya iti sAkShAt.h brahmAvatArkaH |
sarasvatI pUrI cha iti bhAratI AraNya tIrthakau || 18||

shrI sureshvarAcharya is an avatara of Lord brahma. His wife in
his pUrvAshrama (as shrI maNDana mishra) was sAkShat sarasvatI
devi who was called bhAratI. In fact She adorned shR^i~Ngeri as
shrI shArAdAmbA. One can read these details in shankara
digvijaya-s.  mAdhava vidyAraNya's shankara dig vijaya dedicates
considerable portion to discuss the pUrvAshrama of shrI
sureshvarAchArya.

The dashanAmi order associated with the maTha are sarasvatI,
pUrI, bhArati, Aranya, tIrtha, gIri and Ashrama (actually next
verse completes this information. Traditions do differ on this
aspect. Vidya's page indicate that sarasvatI, pUri and bhAratI is
assigned to the shR^i~NgerI shArada maTha.  The account given in
this stotram.h indicates an overlap between maTha-s

giri Ashrama mukhAnis yussarvanAmani sarvadA |
sampradAyo bhUrivaaLo yajurveda udAhR^itaH || 19 ||

The sampradAyam followed by this maTha is bhUrivALa and yajur
veda is assigned to this maTha

[to be continued]

--
Ravi

Note: I made some typos in the previous verses. Also the I had
numbered 15 twice. When I find time, I will correct these errors
and submit the complete text to the jaguar site.