Pls forward to Advaita List (fwd)

Ravisankar Mayavaram msr at ISC.TAMU.EDU
Sun Dec 6 10:14:55 CST 1998

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 1998 13:02:54 PST
From: Vidya Kaushik <vskaushik at hotmail.com>
To: msr at isc.tamu.edu
Subject: Pls forward to Advaita List

Sri Ravishankar,
Namaste!  This is Vidya Kaushik from Austin.  I wonder if you could post
the following message to the group if you feel it is appropriate.

Namaste to the group members.  This is my first posting to this list.  I
have been following the postings for a few months and I am simply awed
by the collective wealth of knowledge and wisdom that forms the basis of
this group.
I wanted to ask a question about a prAkarana grantha called Drg Drsya
Viveka.  It is an excellent small text that is taught by teachers of the
Chinmaya Mission tradition and by Swami Dayananda at Arsha Vidya
Gurukulam in Saylorsburg PA.  There appears to be some uncertainty as to
the authorship of this text as to whether it is by Sankara or by
Vidyaranya.  I wondered if any of the experts could confirm the
authorship.
Also, to those living in the Austin area or nearby, the following note
may be of interest to those interested in Sanskrit.  If there are any
reviews of this short course by people on this list who have taken it
before, that would be welcome.  Thx,
-Vidya
>Samskriti thru Samskritam
>SPEAK SANSKRIT IN ONE WEEK!
>
>The teaching starts with speaking and not with grammar.
>The instructor will speak only in Sanskrit from day one.
>You don't need to memorize any noun or verb tables. Did we do that to
learn
>our mother tongue?  Classes are fun and are conducted through games.
>Knowledge of any Indian language or basic knowledge of Sanskrit
preferred.
>Follow up Sanskrit Correspondence courses are available
>
>SCHEDULE
>Date           Batch 1             Batch 2
>Dec 19th, Sat   Combined Session    from 2pm to 5pm
>Dec 20th, Sun   Combined Session    from 2pm  to 5pm
>Dec 21st,Mon        4m to 6pm 7pm  to 9pm
>Dec 22nd, Tue       4pm to 6pm     7pm  to 9pm
>Dec 23rd, Wed       4pm to 6pm     7pm  to 9pm
>Dec 24th,Thurs      4pm to 6pm     7pm  to 9pm
>Dec 25th, Fri  Combined Session    from 10:30am to 1pm
>
>Location:  Room 4.328, 4th Floor,  The George Kozmetsky Center for
Business
>Education (also called as the College Of Business Administration) -
>University Of Texas, Austin
>
>Directions: From I-35 take the Martin Luther King exit (MLK) , Head
west on
>MLK towards UT Campus.  Take Right on SpeedWay. Take left on the first
Stop
>sign which is 21st Street. The College of Business is on your right and
>there is a large statue in front of the building.  The College of
Business

here>----------------------

>SPEAK SANSKRIT CLASSES - AUSTIN, TX , USA   Dec 19th - Dec 25th ,1998
>Name:     Email:
>Street address:
>City:                              State:          Zip:      Tel:
>                          Fax:
>Names of  participating  family members: (With email address if
available)
>1.
>2.
>3.
>
>Would you like to receive email about other Sanskrit related events?
YES
____
>   Total Enclosed: ________
>

>Samskriti thru Samskritam
>
>Speak Sanskrit classes were started by Shri Krishna Shastry in 1982, as
an
>experiment to bring back Sanskrit into daily life. This experiment has
>gathered the momentum of a major movement today, with Speak Sanskrit
>classes being held throughout India (and abroad). Innovative teaching
>methods, audio-visual instruction aids and the boundless enthusiasm of
the
>teachers have provided great impetus to renewed interest  in Sanskrit
>everywhere.  Millions of people have been taught to understand and
speak
>simple conversational Sanskrit.
>
>Shri. Krishna Shastry: The Man behind the Movement
>"Language learning starts with speaking and not grammar. This is the
>natural way to learn any language", says Krishna Shastry. After
obtaining
>his `Shastry' degree from Samskrita Mahavidyalaya in Tirupati, Shri
Krishna
>Shastry, 40, has devoted his life for taking Sanskrit to common people.
He
>has personally trained thousands of teachers and students, and is a
source
>of great  inspiration for all students of Sanskrit.
>
>Shri Vasuvaj:
>Shri Vasuvaj was a Professor of Sanskrit literature in Shree
Shankaracharya
>University of Samskrit, Kerala.  He is a member of the central team of
>Samskrita Bharati and has contributed immensely to the movement. He has
>conducted more than 300 Speak Sanskrit classes in different parts of
the
>country (including institutions like the Lok Sabha) and abroad. He has
also
>written Sanskrit lessons in the weekly Organiser. He is currently a
>full-time volunteer of Samskrita Bharati in USA and will conduct Speak
>Sanskrit classes for these batches.
>

>Subscribe to Sambhashana Sandeshah
>A unique Sanskrit monthly magazine - simple language, easy to read and
>understand - covers  current events and has stories for children,
simple
>sanskrit crossword puzzles and much more !.
>To subscribe please send a check  for $25 (12 issues)    made to
Sambhshana
>Sandeshah  and mail to this address:  Shri Vithal Bhave, 1044 Lancer
Drive,