case for a nameless jeeva

Jonathan Bricklin brickmar at EARTHCOM.NET
Mon Aug 24 20:30:56 CDT 1998

Gummuluu Murthy writes:

>Thus, as I see it, this individuality, this pride we feel when we put
>our name to a document, is the biggest impediment in our quest for
>Self-realization. It is the root for this ahaMkAra vyAghra vyathitam.

Perhaps.  But one western poet, Tennyson, stumbled on a way to turn this
name individuality on its head:

"A kind of waking trance I have often had, quite from boyhood, when I have
been all alone.  This has generally come upon me through repeating my name
two or three times to myself silently, till all at once, out of the
intensity of the consciousness of individuality, the individual itself
seemed to dissolve and fade away into boundless being;  and this not a
confused state, but the clearest of the clearest and the surest of the
surest, the weirdest of the weirdest, utterly beyond words, where death was
an almost laughable impossibility, the loss of personality (if so it were)
seeming not extinction, but the only true life."

Regards,

Jonathan