message to my friends

Greg Goode goode at DPW.COM
Fri Aug 14 18:06:03 CDT 1998

At 03:49 PM 8/14/98 -0400, f. maiello wrote:

>I can only speak from my own "experience" associated with
>what I had previously undertook in Zen Buddhism, which was
>an unfoldment of the intuitive faculty embracing what is
>referred to as kensho (which is the precursor to satori,
>being a temporary visitation [to the satori state], which is,
>in turn, the Zen equivalent of sahaja nirvikalpa samadhi).
>And this so-called kensho was *identical* to my subsequent
>repeated visitations of the turiya state, via savikalpa
>samadhi (where the ahamkara is temporally transcended yet
>remains latent due to vasanas and thus continues to reappear).
>So that, there was the pattern for an identical outcome as
>a result of undertaking two different approaches.  This is
>why I maintain that non-duality is universal, in principle
>as well as "experience."

Two comments here:

1. This kind of multiple-path experiencing is apparently the sort of thing
that Ramakrishna did with various entire religions, and he spoke of the
sameness of the highest states spoken of by each.  And didn't one of the
Shankaracharyas visit Ramakrishna and confirm or validate his jivanmukta
state?  Or am I mis-remembering?

2. I agree that non-duality is universal.  It has to be universal, if it is
true at all.  There can't be non-duality in one corner, and duality in
another.

Earlier, Frank said that jnAna is not an experience, because:

>Yes, it is technically not an "experience," since there is
>no identifiable subject witnessing an objectifiable event.

I couldn't agree more.  What's more, with this definition, no experience is
an experience.  When you see a tree, or a vision of Ishwara, or hear some
music or taste some food, there is experience but no experiencer.  The
experiencer only comes afterwards, the ego, claiming credit for the
experience as *its* experience.  But even this claiming-experience, while
it is happening, has no identifiable subject.  It seems to *point* to a
subject, but it itself is just like the experience of the tree or Ishwara
or music or food.  Without an identifiable subject, the experience is not
even an object.  This is controversial, and I can't think of a scripture or
Shankara quote to support it right now, so I don't want to take a lot of
space arguing for it on this list.

--Greg