praNava (was Re: vivekachUdAmani)

Ravisankar S. Mayavaram msr at ISC.TAMU.EDU
Thu Aug 13 09:19:34 CDT 1998

> On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Vaidya N. Sundaram wrote:
> > in later posts.
> >  I also request members to find time to discuss the relevance or other
> > interpretations of AUM in this forum. I am also especially interested the
> > method of intonation: is it to be said aloud, or meditated upon etc.

Everday during sandhya we say before prANAyAmam that R^iShi for
praNava is brahma, Chandas is gAyatrI and devata is paramAtma. I
think that is very good reminder about the greatness of praNava,
as its devata is paramAtma.

I would like someone to shed light on how the Chandas is defined
for syllable AUM as gAyatrI.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Ravi

kala"ngiya kuLam pOl kuzhambiya en manam
AUM AUM enRathum paLi"ngena theLinthathu

(My mind which was like a muddled water became crystal clear when
I chanted AUM AUM)