the Nature of realization (please ignore previous post)

f. maiello egodust at DIGITAL.NET
Mon Apr 27 17:44:38 CDT 1998

sadananda wrote:

> The question of who realizes - can be simply answered as - the one who is
> asking the question - Now who is asking the question? The one who
> identifies that I am the questioner that chaitanya (conscious entity) vastu
> who is currently identifying himself with the limited mind realizes that he
> is no more limited although the particular mind that he has been
> identifying continues to be limited.

I concur with this entire post, except for the issue of "who realizes?"
This may be a semantic gap in understanding, so let it be clear that
the word "realize" is being translated as "jnana."  In this sense, the
jiva can only recognize what is ajnana.  The idea that there is a positive
shift in awareness within the jiva itself is one of the most misleading
assumptions being made.  The cup cannot contain the water of the ocean.
The jiva can only realize what it is *not*!  When it completes this task,
without the attending doubts in the Heart, it itself effectively disappears--
viz. as a separate reality *unto itself*.  It gets thereby re-absorbed into
its source.  Result: nothing can be said about what transpires because all
ideas--representing the causal group of upadhis--are necessarily limited;
they can never contain or embrace [what can only be referred to as]
their "causeless cause."  Thus, virtually every conceivable idea that
can be formulated, becomes effectively neutralized in paramarthika.

> I am conscious entity is a fact.  I am an existence entity is a fact.
> Conscious entity is the existence entity is also a fact - since there
> cannot be non-existent conscious entity.  I am also ananda or happiness
> since happiness that I get from by fulfilling desires is not from the
> objects but from myself who is momentarily free from the mind that is
> wanting.  Thus I am sat chit ananda - is a fact.- sat is chit and sat chit
> is ananda. These are not attributes but the very lakshaNas or definitions
> that reveal my true nature.

Quite so.  Yet the jiva is incapable of embracing its source [as sat
chit ananda].  Its core, although atman (being non-different from brahman),
is not the jiva or ego itself which, by definition, is merely a spacio-temporal
phenomenon.

> ..............Once the actor realizes that he is an actor, there is no
> more misunderstanding, he can continue to play the role and in fact play
> better since the suffering in the scenes is not real but is only apparent.

Yes!  This is the scope of 'realization" for the jiva--not in the form of an
affirmation [of jnana], but rather in the form of a negation: i.e. that the
ego is *not* the real doer, but only an actor unfolding the script of Isvara.

...which is implied/supported by the following:

>  Let me clarify based on my understanding!  Jeevanmukta - is the liberation
>  from the notion that I am a Jeeva  or an individual. It is mukti,
>  liberation, from that notion of Jeeva (hood) - while life is still
>  pulsating in the body.

This to me suggests a semantical factor in what amounts to an apparent
difference of opinion.

Namaste.