24. etattadityanirdeshyA (part 2/2)

Ravi Mayavaram msr at REDDY20.TAMU.EDU
Tue Apr 21 22:06:27 CDT 1998

[continuation from the previous part]

The word "etat" can also mean "jIvA". "jIvA" is the individual
awareness which is perceptible and known to all as the 'I' notion. It
is expressed by the word "tvam".  The word "tat" denotes "Ishvara",
the awareness which is known beyond the sense experience. The word
"iti" means 'the same only'. Hence by this name different schools of
philosophy are indicated. In the "sAmkhyamata", "prakR^iti" is the
creatrix, and  awareness "jIva" is multiple in nature. In
"sAmkhyamata" it is accepted that there is no overlord "Ishvara". In
"bhagavatamata" , according to the saying "guNi sarvavit"
[shvetAshvatAropaniShad 6-16] which means "with attributes all
knowing", it is accepted that jIvAs are impermanent. Their birth and
death are caused by the supreme Lord, viShNu, with eternal attributes
and who is the only ultimate. Since both these schools of thought are
rejected by the upaniShadic school by the author of brahmasUtras and
their commentators, SHE cannot be defined as posited in sAmkhya or
bhAgavata schools.  SHE can only be mentioned as the "devata"
mentioned in the "ChandogyopaniShad", as the ultimate reality of the
form "sat-chit-Ananda". Or as mentioned in the kaNADa  school, SHE
cannot be defined as having a constantly distinct and separate form
from jIva and the Ishvara who  is "taTastha". The tarkikAs or
logicians argue that jIvAtma and paramAtma are different, but for
vedAntins they are one. It is not possible to establish a definite
separateness between them.

AUM etattadityanirdeshyAyai namaH