24. etattadityanirdeshyA (part 1/2)

Ravi Mayavaram msr at COMCO.COM
Mon Apr 20 22:24:56 CDT 1998

24. etattadityanirdeshyA

SHE who cannot be defined as "this" or "that".

"etat" is that which can be delimited as so much in space and time. "tat"
is beyond the sense experience and hence, it cannot be defined.

According to the pANini sUtra "itthaM bhAve tR^itiyA", ettaditi is
described by the words "this" and "that". Hence the name means, SHE who
cannot be described or defined by "this" or "that". In this world, it is
possible to define only things which have qualities by the means of
qualifications. For instance, parokShatva which means "being beyond
senses" which is its qualification. But in HER case, attributes which are
in the range of mind and speech, such as kind, quality, action, possession
and so on, are unrelated to HER. brahman is without any attributes.
shrutis say "ashabdam asparsham arUpam avvyayam" [kenopaniShad 3-15] which
means "without sound, touch, form, and unexpendable".  "nirguNam
nishkalam" [shvetashvataropaniShad 6-19] which means "without attributes
or parts". In such a case, by what agency or words can such brahman be
defined?

"yadvAchAnabhyuditam" [kenopaniShad 1-4] which means "whose is not
expressed by speech". SHE is beyond one's perception, knowledge, mind or
speech.

Or "etat" can mean the "jagat" which is the result and which can be
verified by the senses. And it is subsequent to the cause. "tat" means the
unseen cause of the "jagat", which is antecedent to it and near it. The
word "iti" connects both these terms. Hence, the name can mean, SHE who is
the pure consciousness which cannot be defined as cause or effect, as SHE
has no limitation which can produce either cause or effect. SHE is beyond
the causal law. Hence it is not possible for the words "cause" and
"effect" to describe HER.

to be continued
NOTE: Till now I was typing from the book as it is. The book I have has a
lot of grammar mistakes. I thought it is a blessing in disguise - which
will prompt the reader to think about the imperfect nature of translations
and also contemplate more on the text to understand it , instead of just
browsing through the text. But I got few complaints about the English.
>From this name, I will try to make the text little more readable. But you
should realize that unlike HER, I have many limitations ;-)