Information Needed

Thu Apr 16 23:07:41 CDT 1998

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Anand Hudli wrote:

>  Nanda Chandran wrote:
>
> >Can someone post some information on the Ten Monastic Orders started by
> >Shankara?
> Information on the whereabouts, purpose, function, duties,
> >activities, rules and regulations of the Orders would be welcome. Also
> >the relation of the Shankara Maths to the Orders.
>
>  I noticed that some information on this is available in
>  Vidyasankar's web pages. Please see:
>
>  http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~vidya/advaita/ad-today.html

Vidyashankar also mentioned a book by a Swami Sadananda Giri on the
history of the Dashanamis but unfortunately I've forgotten the name!
It's in the NY public library though.

Also there was an interesting article in todays NY Times on the Kumbha
Mela in which the Dashanami Maths play an important role.