shrI lalitA trishatI

Ravi Mayavaram msr at REDDY20.TAMU.EDU
Tue Apr 7 19:33:33 CDT 1998

6. AUM kalAvtyai namaH
7. AUM kamalAkShyai namaH

In the pervious posts, I did not write the names in nAmAvali format.

--
Ravi

dEvI mInanEtri daya chEya brOva rAvamma

>From  Tue Apr  7 21:30:14 1998
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 21:30:14 -0700
To: "Advaita (non-duality) with reverence" <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>
From: Ram Chandran <chandran at TIDALWAVE.NET>
Subject: kaDavuL : correction
Comments: To: Advaita <advaita-l at tamu.edu>

Ravi Mayavaram <msr at REDDY20.TAMU.EDU> writes:

> Since He is in everthing  and He also transcends everything he is
> known as kaDavuL.

Greetings:

In Tamil, there is a famous saying - "AvaninRu Oor AnuVum Asiathu" which
means He is the Source of all Actions.  There is also a subtle message
which implies that the Grace of Ishwar is the primary source of our
existence!

An additional reference on "Kadavul" can be found in the chapter on
Hinduism in the The Gazetteer of India, Volume 1: Country and people.
Delhi,  Publications Division, Government of India, 1965 (Author, C.P.
Ramaswamy Iyer and others)

" The peculiarity of the Saiva Siddhanta doctrine which calls itself
Suddhadvaita is its difference from
 the Vedanta Monism. God pervades and energizes all souls and,
nevertheless, stands apart.
This concept of the absolute is clear  from the Tamil word for God,
Kadavul, meaning that which transcends (kada) all things and is yet the
heart (ul) of all things.  When the absolute becomes manifest, it is as
Force (Sakti) of which the universe is the product."

The Tamil word Kadavul is equivalent to "Brahman" and the individual
souls are the Jeevas.  The manifestation is the "Maya" or Myth.

-
Ram Chandran
9374 Peter Roy Ct.
Burke, VA 22015