Length of the Yugas.

Vaidya N. Sundaram sundaram at ECN.PURDUE.EDU
Tue Sep 30 23:57:56 CDT 1997

On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, Greg Goode wrote:

> I have Sri Yukteswar's SCIENCE OF RELIGION (title from memory), which argues
> for a different mathematical calculation of yugas.  I think as he sees it,
> all time periods come out shorter than on the conventional view.
> Anyone have any info?
>
> --Greg

Namaste.

 Sri. Yukteshwar Giri in his arguments says that we are now in the
Dwapara yuga. According to his calculations, the entire length of the kali
yuga is about 1000 years (I may be wrong by a few 50's or a hundred as I
am trying to quote from memory. I will let you know if I misquoted after
refering my copy ...) and we are in 98th year of the dwapara yuga.
The relationship of the length  yugas with respect to each other still
remains the same. That is, the Dwapara yuga is twice as long as the kali,
th treta is thrice the length of th kali and the Satya yuga is four times
the length of kali. Also, between yugas, that is from the end of one yuga
to the begining of the next, we have a yuga Sandhi (meeting point) and the
length of the Sandhi is one tenth the length of the yuga. That is, the
length of the Sandhi before and after each kali yuga is 100 years. The length
of the Sandhi before and after each Dwapara yuga is 200 years and so on.
 The present Dwapara yuga we are in is supposed to be the ascendent Dwapara.
That is to say, after the kali of one Chatur yuga (all four yugas' put
to gether is one Chatur yuga)  the kali of the second Chatur yuga comes,
followed by the Dwapara, the treta and then the satya and that satya
yuga is followed by the satya yuga of the next Chatur yuga. The dwapara
that follows the second kali  yuga is what i refer to as the ascendent
dwapara yuga.
 When I say we are in the 98 +/- odd years of the Dwapara, I mean that we
are supposed to have crossed the ending sandhi of the kali and the
begining sandhi of the Dwapara. Thus we are in the 298th year of the Dwapara
but, only 98 proper, and for another 1900 years we will contiue to be so
and then there will be a sandhi of 200 years.
 According to Sri. Yukteshar Giri, the mistake is supposed to have
occurred after the death of Maharaja Pariksit. By the time of his
demise, we were into the kali having crossed the sandhi. And the
general knowledge levels even among th literate community was extremely
low. They did not know that at the begining of the kali, they were
supposed to reset the year clock to one. They did not and so the count
continued and we are where we are ...
 Another mistake they commited is that, they presumed that the year
calculations given in the Shastras are based on the year of the Devas.
Which says that the year of the humans is one day of the Devas and
so on. But according to Sri Yukteshwar Giri, the caluculations are
in fact based on the year of the humans. This is also elaborated by
Sri Paramahamsa YogAnanda in his commentary on the Bhagavat Gita.

Vaidya.