"I know", "I do" etc

Gregory Goode goode at DPW.COM
Tue Sep 16 10:22:20 CDT 1997

Gummuluru,

Don't have my copy of Atmabodha at hand, but I agree with your analysis,
how nicely and cogently stated!  For the last several months, this
ridiculousness has been becoming more and more obvious, whenever I use "I".
This usage is becoming more and more obviouly conventional, a way
to flow with Lila.  I don't take it seriously, as though there realy IS such
an entity!

No matter how the "I" is construed, it not the do-er of actions, it
is not the recipient of the fruits of actions.  For the same reasons:
If the "I" is Nirguna Brahman, it is awareness Itself, non-acting,
and non-receiving.  And if the "I" is anything in phenomenality,
associated with the kosa's or sheaths, then it is inert, and
cannot do or receive anything!

Isn't this why the Mandukya Upanishad IV-2 salutes Asparsa Yoga,
that yoga free from all touch of duality?

Ashtavakra Gita has a very cogent sloka on this, I'll look it up tonight
and post tomorrow.

--Greg