Advaita is not a dogma?

un824 at FREENET.VICTORIA.BC.CA un824 at FREENET.VICTORIA.BC.CA
Sat Sep 13 23:50:02 CDT 1997

Namaste.

I would be happy to read some of your favourite quotes Re: Advaita, or even
things that catch your eye as you come across them in your study. For
instance, I read the following today. If it inspires discussion, that's
good, if not, maybe it's worth reading anyway...

"The identity of Brahman and Atman has been expressed in the Upanishads by
such well-known statements as 'I am Brahman', 'This Self is Brahman',
'Brahman is Consciousness', and 'All that exists is Brahman'. It must be
emphasized that this conclusion of non-dualistic Vedanta is neither a
religious dogma nor a philosophical abstraction but a direct experience.
Speculative philosophy creates doubt. A philosopher is a doubter."

"The sole factor in the attainment of immortality or liberation is
desirelessness."

                - from Nikhilananda's "Man in Search of Immortality"

-Allan Curry