A search in secret India

Govind Rengarajan govind at ISC.TAMU.EDU
Thu Oct 30 23:08:43 CST 1997

On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Nanda Kumar wrote:

> I saw a copy of Paul Brunton's 'A search in secret India' in a book shop
> and out of curiousity leafed thru it. There's a chapter where he
> describes his meeting with the Shankaracharya of Kumbhakonam. This
> was surprising because the only acharya in Tamil Nadu is the
> Shankaracharya at Kanchipuram (Can somebody throw more light on
> this?). Anyway on his request to accept him as a disciple, the acharya
> declines but suggests that threre're two truly realized saints in India
> whom he could try. The first he says is somewhere in North India, hidden
> in some religious establishment and very difficult to access and that
> there's not much chance that the saint would accept a European as a
> disciple. The second saint he suggests is Ramana Maharishi and the rest
> is history.

        The kAnchi mutt was in kumbakONam before it was
        moved to kAnchIpuram. You can refer to an article by
        Vidyasankar sometime ago (in the archives - sorry I don't
        have the dates). If I am not mistaken, Giri also has some
        information on his homepage:

                http://www.geocities.com/RodeoDrive/1415/

        Also Ravi or Sri Ram Chandran can perhaps shed more light
        on this.

        govind