Vedas

Tue Oct 28 23:52:48 CST 1997

On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, Ram Chandran wrote:

> [...]
> grandmother died when I was 12.
>         My grandmother who was a great Krishna devotee has strong influence in
> my religious beliefs. I still remember the day of her liberation from
> this worldly life. She was seventy nine years old and I was twelve years
> old.  As per her daily routine, she woke up at 5:00 A.M., took her
> morning bath, completed all household duties (cleaning, washing, cooking
> and taking care of everyone's needs) and conducted an hour long daily
> Puja between nine and 10.  She served food to everyone during 10 and
> 11.  At about 11:00 A.M., she said that she had chest pain and was
> liberated from this world before Noon without eating her food!  As per
> my memory, she had demonstrated her unconditional love, service and
> devotion to all family members, neighbors and Lord Krishna.
> According to my notions, my grandmother is orthodox who believed in her
> Vedic religious convictions and lived a life full of sacrifice and
> service.  Though she was a great devotee of Lord Krishna, she had never
> expressed any hatred toward other people, Gods and religions. The
> Sanskrit Slokas and the religious convictions that she taught me at my
> young age are fortunately still in my memory and I hope will never
> disappear. My grandfather, grandmother, father and mother never had any
> time to get into intellectual debates on Vedas!  I started my school
> education in a Christian school and somehow I never had Sanskrit
> language education.  I became the first Ph. D in my family and
> ironically, I am the only one without knowing Sanskrit.
>         Contribution is again subjective and there are no objective ways to
> measure their values.
> >From your past postings I find that you are very bright, knowledgeable
> on Hindu scriptures and Sanskrit.  All of us have the tendency to make
> mistakes.  We are better of when we correct our mistakes sooner than
> later.  The win-win approach for all of us to ignore and forgive the
> offenders.  When we react, we likely become the victims. We should
> determine to ignore the ignorant and dissolve them with our knowledge
> and wisdom. We should avoid using inappropriate and blunt words such as
> "nitwits."   We seem to assume that such blunt language can strike right
> at the target.  Such hits divert the focus of the discussion from topic
> to personalities.  They are neither necessary nor called for!   The
> purpose this listing is to help all of us to learn to grow
> intellectually, socially and spiritually.
>         I want to thank both Vidyasankar and Sadanand for an enlightening
> discussion on -
> On Brahmasutras and VisishtAdvaita.  Vidya wrote: " I beg to disagree
> .........."
> Sadanand replied: " Well, Let us agree to disagree ................."
> They have demonstrated to us that we can also communicate our ideas and
> express our disagreements without offending others. This is a win-win
> approach to learn and enhance my knowledge horizon!

I am not suggesting that argumentation is some litmus test of being an
astika.  There are many orthodox people who as you suggest do not engage
in debates.  It would be hard to master all the shastras in 120 years let
alone 12.  Traditionally people only did an in-depth study of Vedanta if
they were sannyasis.  Nevertheless in his own field of study I am willing
to bet he would have brooked no criticism.  You know first hand the way
Veda is traditionally taught.  The boys are not allowed to progress one
step further until they have mastered their current lesson.  The Acharya
acts swiftly and without equivocation to correct any errors.  It is only
because of this vigor that the tradition of Vedic study has remained
intact for thousands of years.  The same goes for Vedanta and any other
field of study.

There are many questions that people ask which I do not like but you
cannot expect strangers to have a priori knowledge of what is a good or
bad question.  Rather you have to look at the spirit it is asked in,
whether the questioner is genuinely seeking knowledge.  That's how I took
Allans question and that's how I answered.  What is more disrespectful?
To give someone an answer they may not want to hear or to toss aside their
questions as if they were worthless?

Intellectual rigor and a willingness to confront error are a hallmark of
our way.  The idea that we can be in two minds about the Siddhanta ("the
straight path") is an alien notion one which was only introduced by the
modern weeds in the garden of Vedanta.  They are the "modern nitwits" I
referred to.  Those who mislead honest sadhakas are worthy of choicer
epithets than nitwit.