The point

Nanda Kumar nkumar at OPPENHEIMERFUNDS.COM
Tue Oct 28 09:14:30 CST 1997

Both Murthy and Allan have raise the question on the mode of attaining
jnanihood. I've objections to this line of thought:

For all the Upanishads, the Gita, the Dhammapada and works of theology
and philosophy, one may read, in the final analysis, all these are useless
if one doesn't delve deep inside and understand oneself. So in a nutshell
: "All the answers lie within you". When one understands oneself or his
true nature, one will attain jnanihood. For each person with differing
natures, problems and obstacles to overcome might be vary. True that
it's hard work, but to ask for an easy way or a ready to order and
generic method doesn't make sense.

I also have an objection as to determine whether another person has
attained Brahman or not. A Guru, even though might not have attained
Brahman, but who posseses all other qualities as prescribed by
Shankara in Vivekachoodamani can still be a true guru. If I'm a student,
the guru is important to me only to the scope of his guidance to the path
of enlightment and his knowledge.  Whether he's got the 'label' Brahman
or not, is immaterial to me. For even the Guru can only guide us till a
certain point, but for us to attain the Goal, again we've to do the hard
work of delving deep within and discovering our true nature.