The supreme goal

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Mon Oct 27 13:23:43 CST 1997

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Nanda Kumar wrote:

> Regarding so many questions on whether realization is an experience or
> not, whether any bodily harm or mental harm will affect a realized
> person, whether a jnani will be afraid, whether there's a Brahman or not
> at the end of the process etc
>
> I'm reminded of an event connected with Ramana Maharishi :
> A visitor asked Ramana whether one could wield occult powers after
> attaining jnanihood to which Ramana replied, "Attain jnanihood first"!

I think Shri Nanda Kumar raised a very pertinent question. However, I
wonder if anyone knows how to attain jnanihood. As far as I know, there
are only the divine grace and purification of the mind (which is also a
result of divine grace) are the two prerequisites. Beyond that, there is
nothing, absolutely nothing which anyone can do to attain jnanihood. Until
then, we have to keep on asking and answering these questions. There is no
other way.

Also, I think that asking and answering these questions is part of the
purification process of the mind.

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Yadaa sarve pramucyante kaamaa ye'sya hr^di shritaah
atha martyo'mr^to bhavatyatra brahma samashnute   Katha Upanishhad II.3.14

When all the desires that dwell in the heart fall away, then the mortal
becomes immortal, and attains Brahman even here.