More Karma

Nanda Kumar nkumar at OPPENHEIMERFUNDS.COM
Mon Oct 20 09:12:57 CDT 1997

>Do you think that is meant to apply to good acts as well as bad?  If not,
>why not?
OK, let's try to define action. 1. Right action 2. Wrong Action. Right action
is defined as doing something without expecting the fruits of the action.
Anything else I guess is Wrong Action. Anyway I don't really see the
necessity to analyze wrong action. For these always connect to the
triple evils of anger, jealousy and lust, which the scriptures RIGHTLY
advises to avoid. For a man who falls prey to these can never attain
jnana.

>Can you give me one hypothetical example of how this might work?
True, this can never be proved. But even Thiruvalluvar in the Kural
says,"Pirarkinna murpagal seyyin, thamarkinna pirpagal thaamei varum"
(hope I got it right!). ie If you harm somebody, then harm will come to you
automatically. ie every action has an equal and opposite reaction. So
whatever one does, right or wrong, it'll have an effect later on. If not
anything this has an effect on shaping the morals of the individual.

>"whatever states of being there may be, be they harmonious,
>passionate, slothful--know thou that they are all from Me alone." 7.12
I'm not sure how to interpret this.  All actions are Brahman for
everything is Brahman. We've the freewill to perform actions, right or
wrong. If we perform right actions, the less the prarabdha karma we'll
accumulate and finally attain Brahman. But even the wrong actions are
Brahman too. Except that the more we do them, the more our bondage
towards rebirth and the 'fruits' of such actions. So does it imply that
we've the choice. "Thou mayest"?

I guess the above statement has to be clarified for us to progress
further!