Non-reality of the world

Nanda Kumar nkumar at OPPENHEIMERFUNDS.COM
Mon Oct 13 16:13:09 CDT 1997

I think G Murthy has addressed a very fundamental and vital point out
here. When we know the water is a mirage and the snake is a rope why
don't people too realize the non-reality of the world?

Well, for one to be certain that the water is a mirage and the snake is
indeed a rope, one has to physically experience it ie literally touch the
rope and prove that it's not a snake. The same way life has to be
experienced and realized that it's indeed futile and to realize the reality of
Brahman. But the problem is that, when one is young and has not really
experienced all that life has to offer or is still experiencing the pleasant
part of it, one needs either incredible faith or extremely strong reasoning
that life as we know it, is indeed futile, to give it up. Such faith or
reasoning is quite rare or will take time. There I feel lies the problem. It
might also account for all the married guys who want to take up
sanyaasin and go to the Himalayas!