"I" - the mind or the Self???

Jonathan Bricklin brickmar at EARTHCOM.NET
Thu Oct 9 00:34:10 CDT 1997

 Raghavendra Hebbalalu on Wednesday, October 08, 1997 4:45 PM
writes:

> What about the Sushupti state(Deep sleep) ? "I" don't think the mind
> observes there.

I wonder.  I once had a few days of mystical rapture in which, when I slept
at night, I was aware only of the color black.  I seemed to be completely
asleep yet observing darkness.  Who knows what sorts of distortions and
illusions may have been involved in this perception, but looking back on it
I wonder.  How can black-outs and dreamless sleep be confirmed to be more
than black-_ins_ of which only the last moment before "coming-to" is
remembered?  Perhaps it is only consciousness of "self" that goes out in
these "gaps," as it does in countless gaps of far shorter duration
throughout the day.

What do you think?

Regards,

Jonathan Bricklin