Anandalaharii verse, Shankara's hymn to the Goddess

anand_hudli at BMC.BOEHRINGER-MANNHEIM.COM anand_hudli at BMC.BOEHRINGER-MANNHEIM.COM
Thu Oct 2 15:23:52 CDT 1997

  The Anandalaharii is a hymn in praise of the Goddess, ascribed to Adi
  Shankara. There was some confusion regarding the relation of this hymn
  to the Saundaryalaharii. I have looked at both and it appears that the
  Anandalaharii is an independent work.

  bhavaani stotuM tvaaM prabhavati chaturbhirna vadanaiH
   prajaanaamiishaanas-tripuramathanaH paJNchabhirapi |
  na shhaDbhiH senaaniir-dashashatamukhairapyahipati-
   stadanyeshhaaM keshhaaM kathaya kathamasminnavasaraH ||

  bhavaani - O Bhavani (durgaa, Paarvatii)
  stotuM - to praise
  tvaaM - You
  prabhavati - is perfect
  chaturbhirna - not even with four
  vadanaiH - faces (mouths)
  prajaanaamiishaanaH - Brahmaa the Creator
  tripuramathanaH - Lord Shiva, the destroyer of tripura
  paJNchabhirapi - even with five
  na shhaDbhiH - not with six
  senaaniiH -  Kaartikeya
  dashashatamukhairapi - even with a thousand mouths
  ahipati - Adi Sheshha
  tadanyeshhaaM - therefore for others
  keshhaaM - whose
  kathaya - pray tell me
  kathamasmin.h -  How can there be here
  avasaraH - scope, opportunity

   O Bhavaani, Spouse of Shiva! Brahmaa the Creator cannot perfectly describe
   You with his four mouths! Nor can Lord Shiva do so even with five mouths!
   Lord Kaartikeya cannot possibly describe Your glories with his six mouths.
   Let this be as it may, but even Adi Sheshha (who bears Lord Vishnu) cannot
   describe You with his thousand mouths. Therefore, tell me O Bhavaani, how
   is there any scope for others (like me) to praise You perfectly?

   Shankara is worshipping Brahman in the form of the Goddess here. The
   point being made is that Brahman or the Goddess is beyond the reach of
   words or the mind. In order to describe something we have to have the
   imagination and the vocabulary to construct the description. But Brahman
   is beyond the grasp of the mind and words. As the taiitiriiya upanishad
   proclaims, "yato vaacho nivartante apraapya manasaa saha ...", words and
   the mind fail to reach Brahman, and also the Katha upanishhad,
   "naiva vaachaa na manasaa praaptuM shakyo...", (Brahman) cannot be
   attained by words or by the mind.

   This being the case, it is little wonder then that even gods cannot
   describe the Supreme Reality. So Shankara asks Goddess Bhavaani,
   "How can I praise You perfectly?" The same sentiment is echoed slightly
   differently by Pushhpadanta in the famous hymn to Shiva called the
   Shiva-mahimna stotra. If it be said that the description of those who do not
   know the greatness of Shiva (Brahman) is inappropriate, then even the words
   of Brahmaa and the other gods are inappropriate to praise Shiva. But if it
   be said that the description according to one's mental capacity is
   blemishless, then any description that we offer to the best of our mental
   ability is blemishless too.

   Anand