Positive Attitude

Greg Goode goode at DPW.COM
Thu Oct 2 10:22:32 CDT 1997

At 07:59 PM 10/1/97 -0400, Ram Chandran wrote:
>What is the right path of our life?  The seers who wrote the Upanishads
>have this excellent answer: " Life is a bridge; enjoy while crossing it;
>but don't build a castle on it."   The creator of human life gave the
>positive mental attitude as a gift to the new born child.  This gift has
>helped the child to accept everything from everybody.  We better
>remember and learn from the child to accept life, the gift of God.  Let
>us also remember not to teach our bad habits to the children!  With
>positive mental attitude, we can accept the realities of life without
>resistance and fear.   We become the witness of our own life and can
>probably accept joy, sorrow, good, bad, tall, short, beauty, ugly,
>light, dark, past, present and future.  We can stop asking instantaneous
>explanations for everything.

I agree with all this, and most of the rest of this posting.
It's wonderful and inspiring!  A positive attitude really melts all
these problems away!   But unfortunately, a positive attitude
is not the outcome of one or more choices.  It comes of its own or not.  Have
you ever tried to cultivate a certain attitude and been struck by how
stubbornly it doesn't come?  Other times, it appears as if from nowhere,
and you analyze everything in your environment to see what you can do to
bring it BACK again!  It's mysterious and spontaneous. If people could bring
it upon themselves, then everyone would!!  Everyone would be happy!

--Greg