vedas

un824 at FREENET.VICTORIA.BC.CA un824 at FREENET.VICTORIA.BC.CA
Wed Oct 1 17:58:58 CDT 1997

Namaste,

Vidyasankar writes:

>In both cases, there is no insistence upon taking the vedas as *literal*
>truth. In fact, where a statement in the vedas contradicts direct
>perception, one is forced to interpret it in a metaphorical fashion. Thus,
>the vedas, for all their infallibility, cannot contradict the fact that
>fire burns.

The vedas contain statements about the physical universe which seem to be
contradicted by science as we now know it. What is our reason for assuming
those statements refer to truths represented in a "metaphorical fashion"
rather than mere falsehoods? Can we be orthodox followers of advaita vedanta
and admit even one such falsehood exists? What is the minimal requirment of
faith in the vedas in order to be an orthodox follower of advaita vedanta?

-Allan Curry