Why the same dream?

Prashant Sharma psharma at BUPHY.BU.EDU
Thu Nov 20 09:13:43 CST 1997

On Thu, 20 Nov 1997, Miguel Angel Carrasco wrote:

> Thesis B)   ^ÓThe many dreams are so similar due to a common origin.^Ô This
> is better, but I do not like the ^Óonly one mind which is the sum total of
> human experiences^Ô. Expressed like that, the sum total seems the result
> from the previous experiences. A sort of collective memory. The problem is
> that also my dog seems to share much of my dream. He also seems to like
> looking at the full moon, avoiding the blazing Spanish sun, etc.

        You can refine the thesis in the following way.  The mind is like
an atmosphere that all living beings share.  We have our own antennas to
catch vibrations of this atmosphere: these form our experiences.  We
"know" that there are other beings because they affect the atmospheres
vibrations (a very physical way of thinking!).  We know them only through
this effect.  There is no other way of knowing reality, hence we
are stuck with second hand knowledge (there is nothing like knowing
reality per se). All this is "maya" which is discarded as soon as truth is
realized.  There is no origin of this maya (you know the "standard"
arguments for this I believe :).  One either breathes this atmosphere or
finds another technique of breathing which dissolves all dependence on
this atmosphere.
Hope this modification is satisfying.
Regards,
Prashant.