The story of my experiments with truth

Nanda Kumar nkumar at OPPENHEIMERFUNDS.COM
Wed Nov 12 12:37:18 CST 1997

I'm reading 'The story of my experiments with truth' by Mahatma Gandhi.
In essence, the book is basically about MK Gandhi's quest for truth.
Several times in the book, on the subject of renunciation, he quotes one
'Nishkulanand' and considers him an authority on the subject. Any idea
who Nishkulanand is?

The book is very endearing and a great read. There's no pretense in any
sense, as one would expect with an autobiography of a public figure.
Very frank and honest, one is able to relate to it and it's very inspiring.

An excerpt :

"I think it's wrong to expect certainities in this world, where all else but
God, that is Truth, is an uncertainity. All that appears and happens about
and around us is uncertain, transient. But there is a Supreme Being
hidden therein as a certainity and one would be blessed if one could
catch a glimpse of that certainity and hitch one's wagon to it. The quest
for that Truth is the summum bonum of life".

>From  Wed Nov 12 15:29:39 1997
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 15:29:39 -0500
To: "Advaita (non-duality) with reverence" <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>
From: Ram Chandran <chandran at TIDALWAVE.NET>
Subject: The story of my experiments with truth
Comments: To: Advaita List <advaita-l at tamu.edu>

Nanda Kumar <nkumar at OPPENHEIMERFUNDS.COM> wrote:

> .......     Any idea  who Nishkulanand is? .....

Dear Shri Nanda Kumar:

   Mahatma Gandhi is an ideal role model of a Hindu who practiced Karma,
Bhakti and Jnana Yogas following the food-steps of Bhagavad Gita.  He
was able to see himself in everyone and eveyone (including the British
policiticians) were able to see him in their heart! Spirtiutal life can
help anyone to develop a magnetic personality of attraction and everyone
will love to see and listen to such a personality! Gandhi was neither a
great speaker (using modern standards!) nor he had any great look! Most
importantly, he was unselfish and everyone knew that he was unselfish!
Gandhi was able to command the world without any force and was able to
get results without looking for it!  His autobiography is a living Gita
for people to understand the full significance of Gita and other
scriptures including the Bible!

 I have the following information about Shree Niskulanand.  Shree
Nishkulanand a great Gujarati poet has composed and published a book of
poems with the title, "Bhakti-Chintaman."  This book consists of 164
chapters in simple Gujarati words in poetic form.  The poems describe
all the activities of Lord Swaminarayan from birth to death for the
upliftment of all the souls. They also describe all the Vishnu Yagnas,
festivals, the obstacles in preaching, the temples and the spiritual and
philosophical knowledge. The names of all the devotees of the Lord are
given by region and village. It contains all the spiritual as well as
philosophical questions asked by the Saints and devotees with the
replies from Lord Swaminarayan. This holy book is read by singing it
lovingly by the people of Gujarat and Gandhi was a great fan of this
book!
Keep up with your wise questions and wish you all the best!

Regards,

Ram Chandran