What we write

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Sun Nov 2 07:36:17 CST 1997

In a recent thread on "The supreme goal", Shri Vaidya Sundaram wrote

>  ... My contention is that, we as list members
> do not say or imply our own view points. We quote from authorities
> and scriptures ... I think saying that members say so is not true at all.

I hesitate in accepting this fully. Often I expressed my understanding of
the analysis of the great achAryAs like Shri Shankara. Also, quite often,
I expressed my understanding of a matter. Is it necessary to have a
scriptural reference or a great acAryA's commentary all the time ? I agrre
that if we do not follow either a great teacher's commentary/work or the
upanishhad or gita itself, it can become a free-for-all. But, here we are
practising advaita. Practising advaita is knowing what we are and a
bookish or intellectual knowledge is not sufficient. I am interested in
hearing List members' views on this.

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Yadaa sarve pramucyante kaamaa ye'sya hr^di shritaah
atha martyo'mr^to bhavatyatra brahma samashnute   Katha Upanishhad II.3.14

When all the desires that dwell in the heart fall away, then the mortal
becomes immortal, and attains Brahman even here.