Shastra - as a pramana?

sadananda sada at ANVIL.NRL.NAVY.MIL
Tue May 20 13:02:43 CDT 1997

Vidya, thanks for the response.

>Regarding Sadananda's comments on the apaurusheyatvam of Sruti :-
>
>As I see it, advaita vedAnta can have two functions, one that is pure
>philosophizing (advaita) independent of source texts, and one that is
>textual exegesis (vedAnta). As textual exegesis, advaita vedaanta has also
>functioned as religion. Now, in a religious tradition, one has to follow
>certain norms that define the source texts. It is convenient to follow
>those laid down by the mImAmsA sUtras, whose primary function was textual
>exegesis.

With this and the analysis Vidya has provided I have no disagreements.  As
a science, I can appreciate vedas and all other knowledge as apourusheya,
and again Advaita not as religion but as a fact.

But pramana as a different connotation.  Eyes are pramanas for seeing - say
colors - ears for sound  etc implies that no other means avaible other
those particualar indriyas.  Vedanta as the only pramana implies is
that there is no other means available for knowing. Discussion on Sutra 3 -
shaastrayonitwaat - has been done to establish that the Veadanta is the
only pramana.    My arguments presented in the earlier note said that I
donot need vedanta to prove my existence, my reality as single, and that it
is non-negetable and hence the finality of the advaitic state.  To
establish that I am sat and chit I do not need any pramana and I am ananda
is by analysis of experiences.

As I pointedout that for Dwaitins, I see the need to establish Vedanta as
Pramana, provide a santity as Apourusheyatwam. Otherwise they have no basis
to prove that Lord Narayana is the supreme God Head!  But I donot see the
need for that advaitins, other than politically (same as religiously!) it
is good!

Apourusheyatvam for the vedas per sec obviously is a  belief, you can call
it as an axim if you like.  Belief need not be questioned and to be argued
or debated.

My comment is only that Apourusheyatwam is not necessory to establish
Advaita as the truth.

Well- end of my comments.

Hari Om!
Sadananda