The non-reality of free will (2.5.97)

Cameron Reilly cjreilly at OZEMAIL.COM.AU
Tue May 13 08:12:00 CDT 1997

Charles!

:)

-----Original Message-----
From:   Charles Wikner [SMTP:WIKNER at NACDH4.NAC.AC.ZA]
Sent:   Tuesday, May 13, 1997 5:55 PM
To:     Multiple recipients of list ADVAITA-L
Subject:        Re: The non-reality of free will (2.5.97)

Cameron Reilly <cjreilly at OZEMAIL.COM.AU> wrote on 12 May 1997:
> We can all extract quotes and use them to our purpose. I am trying to
> encourage the members of the list to look within for their answers, not
> to quotes.

Oh good!  Can I also extract a quote and use it for my purpose?
I chhose to quote your second sentence:

> I am trying ...
Is that not volition?

No! I had no choice over the trying!

> ... to encourage the members of the list ...
So we do have a choice?

No you do not! And neither do I!

> ... to look within for their answers, ...
The ego will provide all the answers you like.

Yes! And perhaps the ego will one day discover the truth about itself!
 (Impotence!)

> ... not to quotes.
They will provide all the answers that you don't like.

Couldn't resist it - no choice :-)     ( = weak buddhi! )

I don't blame you - I probably would have done the same myself!

B.rhad. 4.4.5 seems apposite here.

Are you quoting that?!? ;-)

Regards, Charles.