Katha upanishhad: verse II.3.9 &12

Charles Wikner WIKNER at NACDH4.NAC.AC.ZA
Tue May 13 02:53:17 CDT 1997

Gummuluru Murthy <gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA> wrote on 11 May 1997:
> So, the statements in the upanishhads can be interpreted as: the human
> mind, through the sense organs cannot grasp Atman, but the human mind,
> diverted inward, unencumbered by the sense organs, being part of pure
> dharmic buddhi can grasp Atman. Such a person, who by saadhana has
> disciplined the sense organs, has inwardly directed manas merging in
> pure dharmic buddhi realizes the Atman and is a jeevanmukta.

It cannot be grasped.  (See Mund. 1.1.6)

It is not an object - or a subject either - but the underlying Knowledge
that illuminates and witnesses all.  (See Kena 1.4-9)

It is revealed (abhik.lpta).  (See also Mund. 3.1.8-9)

> So, my statement of a few months ago that mind, being a product of
> maaya, cannot grasp the Atman is only partially correct. Human mind,
> if and when the sense organs are completely disciplined, and the mind
> itself internally directed, can grasp the Atman.

No, but there may be direct awareness of the light of the Atman, which
is reflected most purely in the buddhi, when the mind is turned away
from the objects that are illuminated by that light and towards the
Source of the light.  (See Katha 2.2.15 = Mund 2.2.10 = Svet 6.14)
By analogy, it is when the charioteer brings the carriage to a halt
and looks within.

The sense of the "Self is revealed to the mind", is that the still and
pure buddhi, reflecting the Self, seems to contribute its own nature of
being an object, to the Self, which is never an object.  This revelation,
or negation of avidyaa, is without any change whatsoever in the Self.

Regards, Charles.