Unreality of the world: a further analogy

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Wed Jun 18 08:59:41 CDT 1997

> >On Tue, 17 Jun 1997, Allan Curry wrote:
> >
> >[..]
> >
> >> If illusory is equated with impermanence then I would find it difficult to
> >> argue that the world is not illusory. If illusory refers to the fact that
> >> our impression of the world is created by our minds, again I agree our
> >> representation of the world is fabricated. To some, the "illusory nature of
> >> the world" implies the non-existence of any extra-mental source of data
> >> which go into the making of our representation of the world. This is a
> >> much more difficult case to make and one that I am not convinced of.
> >
> >You are in good company! SankarAcArya himself is not convinced about such
> >a proposition.
> >
> >Vidyasankar
> Would you please elaborate?  I thought he denied everything but Brahman
> who is the absolute subject. Does he allow the independent existence of
> anything but this subject?

I read about Shri Shankara giving a special status to the world between
the illusory nature of the thoughts and the absolute reality of the
Brahman. My feeling is: either it is real or it is false. There cannot
be a half-way status. Shri Shankara, being one who formulated advaita
in a classic fashion at the historical time he did, must have his reasons
for giving a half-way status to the world (if he did). I would second
Allan's request for elaboration on this topic.

> best regards,
> -Allan Curry

Gummuluru Murthy
Yadaa sarve pramucyante kaamaa ye'sya hr^di shritaah
atha martyo'mr^to bhavatyatra brahma samashnute   Katha Upanishhad II.3.14

When all the desires that dwell in the heart fall away, then the mortal
becomes immortal, and attains Brahman even here.